Porto

Museu Nacional de Soares dos Reis

Diverse

The Museu Nacional de Soares dos Reis, former Museu Portuense, was created in 1833 when D. Pedro IV decided to create a Museum of Paintings and Prints in Porto. With the republican reforms of 1911, it changed its name to Museu Soares dos Reis and in 1932 it acquired the status of National Museum. Initially installed in the building of the Convent of Santo António da Cidade, it moved on in 1940 to occupy the Palace of Carrancas, a bourgeois building from the late 18th century and later a Royal Palace. It was the object of a profound renovation and expansion, according to a project by architect Fernando Távora, and reopened to the public in July 2001.

Porto

Get directions

See Also