Coimbra

Museu Nacional de Machado de Castro

Diverse

The large courtyard, dominated by the 16th century loggia that exerts great attraction on those who pass by this part of the city, is an impressive example of survival of the symbolic load of a place. This building was an administrative, political and religious center in Roman times, a Christian temple at least since the 11th century, an episcopal palace from the second half of the 12th century, and a museum since 1911. It is, therefore, one of the most complex and attractive places in the city.
Delivered on that date to the Portuguese State for the installation of the Museu Machado de Castro, the building of the old episcopal palace of Coimbra, already classified as a National Monument, underwent successive works of adaptation that revealed its history and the archaeological value of the site. However, only the recent requalification and expansion project allowed to deepen and give visibility to the scientific study of the complex, thanks to a global intervention program that included archeology, architecture and museography.
Refurbished and expanded at a very special moment in its history, the Museum has recently reopened all of its spaces to the public, 100 years after its foundation.
It offers completely new, vast and luminous spaces that allow the nature of the collections to be adjusted the to the characteristics of the surrounding architecture, offering for the first time conditions of comfort and accessibility to different audiences.
Conquering a dimension of greater proximity with visitors, the Museum intends to consolidate its identity as a place for sharing knowledge and affections.

Coimbra

Get directions

See Also