Braga

Mosteiro de São Martinho de Tibães

Monuments | Religious Architecture

The Mosteiro de São Martinho de Tibães is located in the parish of Mire de Tibães, in the municipality and district of Braga. It was classified as a Property of Public Interest in 1944, being assigned to the Direção Regional de Cultura do Norte. At the end of the 11th century, the Benedictine monastery of São Martinho de Tibães was founded, in which the monks followed the rules of silence, obedience, poverty, prayer and work prescribed by São Bento de Núrsia. In 1110, the counts D. Henrique and D. Teresa, parents of D. Afonso Henriques, the first king of Portugal, donated the lands adjacent to the Monastery to Tibães and granted it the Letter of Couto. The Monastery grew in privileges and power until the 14th century and, after the Council of Trent, in 1567, was chosen as the Headquarters of the Congregation of São Bento dos Reinos de Portugal, with 22 monasteries in Portugal and 13 in Brazil. It reached its maximum splendor in the 17th and 18th centuries, after being transformed into one of the largest monastic ensembles in Baroque Portugal and an important center for the production and diffusion of cultures and aesthetics, a place of exception for Portuguese thought and art. The Monastery is composed by the church, the conventual wings and the outer space, and the fence. The building that exists today was built over the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. With a functional architecture, at that time there was a clear separation between the areas of prayer, work, leisure, communication with the outside, areas occupied by the resident community, and others reserved for use as the Headquarters of the Congregation. In 1833/34, with the extinction of Religious Orders, the Monastery was closed, its goods inventoried and offered for sale, except for the church, the walkway and a conventual area which, while still owned by the Portuguese State, remained in use by the parish. In 1986, in view of the degradation and dilapidation of this heritage during the previous decades, the Portuguese State acquired it, beginning its recovery with studies, records and cleanings that made the restoration projects that followed possible. While keeping the use associated with the Parish of Mire de Tibães, two new features were implemented: the cultural one, associated with the international concept of Monument Museum and Historical Garden, which allows us to visit, see and feel the spaces and their times; and the hosting one, where the 21st century recovery intervention, adapted the most ruined part of the building to the needs of a Shalom community, with an inn and restaurant spaces.

Braga

Get directions

Contact

<p><img src="https://www.culturaportugal.gov.pt/media/4261/cleansafe.jpg" alt="" /></p>

See Also