Tarouca

Mosteiro de São João de Tarouca

Monuments | Religious Architecture

A male monastery of the Cistercian Order, its construction began in 1154, where it imposed itself as the first Cistercian building in the Portuguese territory. With its construction closely linked to the foundation of the country and the figure of D. Afonso Henriques, the monastic complex was largely expanded in the 17th and 18th centuries with the construction of new buildings, among which stands out a new and colossal dormitory. In 1834, with the extinction of Religious Orders in Portugal, the church was converted into a parish church and the monastic facilities were sold at public auction, with its buildings being explored as a quarry until the beginning of the 20th century. After its church was classified as a National Monument in 1956 - with this protection being extended to the whole set in 1978 -, the Portuguese State began the gradual acquisition of the entire monastic area in 1996, with the church being subjected to a complete restoration between 1998 and 2010, and the monastic dependencies to an exhaustive archaeological excavation between 1998 and 2007, having its musealization became completed in 2013. Casa da Tulha, the former monastic granary, houses the Interpretative Center of the site.

Tarouca

Get directions

Schedule

Tuesday to Sunday: 10 am to 1 pm and 2 pm to 6 pm
Closed on January 1, May 1, Easter Sunday, Tarouca Municipal Holiday (September 29) and Christmas Day (December 25)

Price

€ 3 (general admission)

Contact

Tel .: +351 254 600 230
Email: valedovarosa.visitar@culturanorte.gov.pt
Website: Vale do Varosa

See Also