Lamego

Convento de Santo António de Ferreirim

Monuments | Military Architecture

Integrating a previously fortified tower, possibly dating from the 14th century, the foundation of this Franciscan male convent begins with the donation, in 1525, of the surrounding land, by D. Francisco Coutinho, Count of Marialva. With a Manueline style, of which the portico of the church survives, we must also highlight the construction of the cloister - since disappeared - dating from the first half of the 16th century, the period of construction of the church and the convent complex. With regard to the estate, the eight boards painted in 1533-1534 by the so-called “Masters of Ferreirim” stand out. Those Masters were a partnership later revealed by documentation found by Virgílio Correia, which revealed the names of Cristóvão de Figueiredo, Garcia Fernandes and Gregório Lopes as the authors of the paintings. Extinct in 1834, with its church converted into a parish church, the monastic premises were sold at auction and were partially dismantled or have fallen into ruin. Classified as a Building of Public Interest since 1944, in 2001-2005 the church and its contents were subjected to a full restoration, and the convent's Interpretive Center was also installed.

Lamego

Get directions

Schedule

Tuesday to Sunday: 10 am to 1 pm and 2 pm to 6 pm
Closed on January 1, May 1, Easter Sunday, Lamego Municipal Holiday (September 8) and Christmas Day (December 25)

Price

€ 3 (general admission)

Contact

Tel.:+351 254 600 230
Email: valedovarosa.visitar@culturanorte.gov.pt
Website: Vale do Varosa

 

See Also