The Castelo de Montalegre is located on a hill overlooking the town, which extends to the south and east. It is classified as a National Monument by the decree of 16.06.1910 and has a Special Protection Zone. The property is owned by the Portuguese State, and is assigned to the Direcção Regional da Cultura do Norte. Throughout the 20th century, this castle was the target of several recovery and enhancement actions by the ex-DGEMN, ex-IPPC and Montalegre City Council (1988/1990), and more recently by the ex-IPPAR (1998). Following the 1990 intervention, a museum center was installed.
Tel .: +351 226 197 080