The Castelo de Miranda do Douro was built in the second repopulation of Trás-os-Montes, which took place during the reign of D. Dinis. This king ordered the construction of a castle in 1286 at one end of the town, to which the urban fence designed to protect the population was linked. In addition to the natural transformations in later centuries, a violent explosion occurred in 1762, disfiguring fundamental parts of the Gothic work. Apparently, the castle was rectangular in shape and its walls connected "the formidable keep, located in one of the angles, to three other lower towers also in an angular position".
Tel .: +351 226 197 080