Rural fortress in the second half of the 12th century, and a paradigm of the military stucco architecture in Portugal. In the enclosure with an irregularly trapezoidal shape there was an alqueria surrounded by a robust wall. The access door is protected by an albarrana tower. The urbanized space with narrow streets ran through by a sewage system that led the residual and rain waters to the outside of the wall, was changed with the Christian conquest in 1248. In the interior, two cisterns and the ruins of the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Assunção are a testimony to the two main periods of occupation of the castle: the Islamic and the Christian. In the 16th century took place the population exodus to the current village of Paderne.
Open only for visits by appointment with the Archeology Museum of Albufeira.
Address: Rua Professor António Pinheiro e Rosa, n.º 1.
Tel .: (+351) 289 896 07
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Municipal Museum of Archeology
Address: Praça da República, n.º 1
Tel .: +351 289 599 508