The Museu Nacional da Música has one of Europe's richest collections of musical instruments (around 1,000, and mostly European in origin) from the 16th to the 20th centuries, both from classical and popular tradition, and some of them classified as National Treasures. The Museum is particularly notable for the quantity and quality of the instruments made in Portugal, such as the harpsichord of Joaquim José Antunes (1758), the violins and cellos of Joaquim J. Galrão, the guitars of D. J. Araújo and the flutes of the Haupt family. Other instruments deserve to be highlighted, such as Pascal Taskin's harpsichord built in 1782 for King D. Louis XVI of France, the piano (Boisselot & Fils) that Franz Liszt brought from France in 1845, Eichentopf's oboe, the cors anglais of Grenser and Grunman & Floth, or the cello of António Stradivari that belonged to and was played by King D. Luís. In addition to the instruments, the Museum also includes several documentary collections and phonographic and iconographic assets.
Adress: Estação do Metropolitano Alto dos Moinhos, Rua João de Freitas Branco, Lisboa 1500-359
Phone: + 351 21 771 09 90 - 8