The Casa-Museu Dr. Anastácio Gonçalves is a museum space in the city of Lisbon where the collection gathered by the collecting doctor António Anastácio Gonçalves is displayed. The group of about 3,000 works of art comprises three major groups: Portuguese painting from the 19th and 20th centuries, Chinese porcelain, and Portuguese and foreign furniture. There are also important nucleus of civil and religious jewelery, European painting, Portuguese sculpture, European ceramics, textiles, numismatics, medals, Swiss and French glass and pocket watches. In addition to the works collected by the collector, the Casa-Museu contains a significant documentary collection and a set of drawings, watercolors and small artifacts belonging to the work of the painter Silva Porto.
The current Casa-Museu Dr. Anastácio Gonçalves, a project by the architect Norte Júnior dated from 1904-05, was comissioned by the painter José Malhoa to be his home and work studio. This capital's first artist's house, winner of a Valmor Prize in 1905, was urbanistically integrated into the development plan of the city of Lisbon. This “Casa-Malhoa” was acquired in 1932 by Dr. Anastácio Gonçalves (1889-1965), who lived there and organized his collection up to the year of his death. In 1969, by the collector's express will, the building was bequeathed to the Portuguese State in order to create a Museum that would be opened to the public in 1980.
In 1996, under a project of the architects Frederico and Pedro George, works of expansion and improvement were carried out, with an adjoining house - also signed by Norte Júnior - being attached to the original building. The new space provided the extension of the visitor's reception area with a shop, a cafeteria and an area for temporary exhibitions. The Casa-Museu Dr. Anastácio Gonçalves reopened in December 1997 with its current configuration.